Gas safety certificates in Hampshire

Landlords have specific legal responsibilities to their tenants when it comes to gas safety

The law for rental accommodation and the legal requirement surrounding gas safety certificates in Hampshire


As a landlord, you have a responsibility for the safety of your tenants and your property.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

These duties apply to a wide range of accommodation, occupied under a lease or licence, including:

  • residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  • rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  • rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

As a landlord, if you let a property equipped with gas appliances, you have three main responsibilities:

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue.  A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
  • Record: a record of the annual gas safety check must be provided to your tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. You must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years.

All installation, maintenance and safety checks need to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer before any issue of gas safety certificates in Hampshire can be authorised.

If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, then you are responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipework but not for the actual appliance.

You should also make sure your tenants know where to turn off the gas and what to do in the event of a gas emergency.

To find out more about gas safety certificates in Hampshire or any other area please check out this link at the Gas Safe Register website.

Todds plumbing and heating Limited are fully qualified gas safe registered engineers who are capable to assess and test gas appliances and issue gas safety certificates in Hampshire.